Deep Tissue Massage: Who Will Benefit from this Treatment?
Deep tissue massage is a type of therapeutic bodywork that helps release chronic muscle tension and restore proper function to muscles, tendons, and joints. This type of massage includes slow strokes that focus on the deeper layers of muscle tissue. It can be helpful for people with certain conditions such as fibromyalgia, carpal tunnel syndrome, or low-back pain. If you are looking for relief from these types of symptoms then deep tissue massage could help!
What is a deep tissue massage?
A deep tissue massage is a form of massage treatment specialising in the treatment of myofascial trigger points, whilst addressing the corresponding connective tissue restrictions. A deep tissue massage uses very specific techniques to address these areas and can be helpful for encouraging muscle relaxation due to tension in their muscles or fascia (myo = muscle / fibrous material surrounding a body part).
In simple terms, it’s a massage style that helps repair and relaxes the muscles due to tension and injury.
Is a Deep tissue massage only for athletes?
Having a deep tissue massage is beneficial for all those who suffer from any type of pain, whether it’s due to sports injuries or not.
It can also be very effective in treating recurring chronic back and neck pain as well as arthritis, problems with the joints. It is often used by people suffering from fibromyalgia (chronic widespread body aches and general feelings of unwellness).
So no just about anyone can get a deep tissue massage for any purpose.
Do I need to speak to a doctor before getting a massage?
No, you do not need to speak to a doctor before getting a massage, but it is always a good idea. That way the therapist knows your medical history and can provide better care for you.
People who are pregnant should be careful with using any oils during their massages as this may cause complications in pregnant women so avoid them at all costs unless there is a very specific reason you need it done. Personally, I don’t feel the benefits outweigh the risk on this one.
What are the benefits of a Deep tissue massage?
1. Deep tissue massage is a type of bodywork that focuses on the deeper layers of muscle and connective tissue
2. The goal is to release chronic tension in the muscles, thereby relieving pain and restoring normal movement
3. It can be used as part of an overall treatment plan for those with arthritis or other joint problems
4. Benefits include reducing muscle spasms, improving mobility, decreasing joint pain, releasing endorphins (natural painkillers), increasing flexibility, and more.
5. There are many different types of deep tissue massage techniques – ask your therapist which one they specialize in before your appointment! 6. A few examples are Trigger Point Therapy Massage, Myofascial Release Massage Therapy.